Speech contests are an important part of the Toastmasters educational program. They provide an opportunity for Toastmasters to gain speaking experience, as well as an opportunity for other Toastmasters to learn by observing proficient speakers. Speech contests are a Toastmasters tradition. Each year thousands of Toastmasters compete in the Humorous, Evaluation, Table Topics, Tall Tales, and International speech contests.
Competition begins with club contests, and winners continue competing through the area, division, and district levels. Winners of the district-level International Speech Contest proceed to the regional quarterfinals level. Following region quarterfinals, winners advance to the semifinals for a chance to take part in the World Championship of Public Speaking®. Each year, more than 30,000 Toastmasters compete in one or more of the following contests.
This year, District 13 will be participating in the following contests:
Humorous Speech Contest
- Contestants present a five-to-seven minute humorous speech on any subject they choose.
International Speech Contest
- Contestants present a five-to-seven-minute speech on any subject they choose. All districts must conduct this contest. It is the only contest that moves up to the International Level to the Toastmasters International Convention in August.
As the 2023-2024 District 13 Contest Season begins, it is important that every club understands exactly how many contestants they can send on to the next level of competition.
- If your Club is a part of an Area with four or less Clubs, each Club may send two contestants from their Club to the Area International Speech and Humorous Contests. If your Club is part of an Area with five or more Clubs within the Area, each Club can only send the first-place contestant in each contest to the Area-level Contests.
- If your Area is a part of a Division with four or less Areas, each Area may send two contestants from their Area to the Division International Speech and Humorous Contests. If your Area is a part of a Division with five or more Areas within your Division, each Area can only send the first-place contestant in each contest to the Division-level Contests.
- Each Division will then send the first- and second-place contestants to the District 13 International Speech and Humorous Contests.